Deionization just means removal of ions. These ions are charged atoms and molecules electrically found in the water, which have either the net positive or negative charge. For a lot of applications that make use of water as rinse and ingredient, the ions are been considered impurities and should get removed from water. Ions with the positive charge are named “Cations” or ions with the negative charge are named “Anions”. The ion exchange resins can be used for exchanging the non desirable cations or anions with hydroxyl and hydrogen, respectively, forming the pure water that isn’t an ion. Here is the complete list of ions found in the municipal water and know what is deionised water?
The ion exchange resins can be used for producing deionised water. The resins are some small plastic beads, which are composed of the organic polymer chains, which have the charged functional groups made in the resin bead. Every functional group has the fixed negative or positive charge.
- Cation resin has the negative functional group, thus attracts the positively charged ions. There’re two kinds of the cation resins, strong acid cation and weak acid cation. The weak acid resin will be used primarily in the dealkalization or other unique usage. For such reason we can focus on explaining role of the strong acid resins that is used for producing the deionised water:
- Anion resin has the positive functional group, thus attracts the negatively charged ions. There’re two kinds of the anion resins, the weak base anion and the strong base anion. Both kinds of resins can be used for producing deionised water, but, they have the different characteristics:
- WBA resins don’t remove silica, C02 and have an ability to neutralize the weak acids as well as has the lower neutral pH if used in the dual separate system.
- SBA resins will remove all anions, including C02, as well as has the higher than the neutral pH if used in the dual separate system because of sodium leakage.
- Mixed resins make use of SAC & SBA resins both together combined.
To produce the deionised water, the cation resin will be regenerated with the Hydrochloric Acid. Hydrogen is positively charged, thus attaches itself to negatively charged resin bead. Anion resin will be regenerated with the sodium hydroxide. Hydroxyl is negatively charged as well as attaches itself to positively charged resin bead.
It’s quite amazing to know that there are a lot of different uses for deionised water. Eat the balanced meal and take dietary supplements such as multivitamins for replenishing lost ions found in water.